Everything you need to know about taking the plunge!
What is Baptism?
The Bible teaches that we are saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9). Baptism is a public confession of that faith in Jesus to God, the church, and the world (Matthew 10:32). Following our understanding of Scripture, we practice baptism by immersion (going under the water). The Greek word used exclusively throughout the New Testament for baptism is “baptiso” which means to plunge, dip, or immerse. Jesus modeled this form of baptism and commanded it (Matthew 3:13-17 | Matthew 28:19), making baptism an act of obedience and faith. Baptism by immersion represents the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, symbolizing our old self dying, being buried in the water, and raised as a new creation in Christ Jesus (Romans 6:3-4 | 2 Corinthians 5:17).
Why should I get baptized?
Here are a few reasons to get baptized:
- Because you want to accept Jesus as your Savior or because you have recently accepted Jesus as your Savior. Anyone who has professed faith in Jesus Christ should be baptized at their conversion or soon after. Acts 2:38 | Acts 8:12 | Acts 8:36-38 | Acts 10:44-48
- Because you are ready to turn away, or repent, from an old life that hasn't brought you much peace with God and others. Acts 2:38 | 1 Peter 3:21
- Because you are ready for a new beginning and a fresh start in life. Romans 6:1-7
- Because you were sprinkled as an infant or young child, and now want to profess your faith at an age where you are making the personal decision to get baptized (not your parents or grandparents) and understand the commitment that you are entering into. Acts 2:37-41 | Acts 16:30
- Because you are ready to join Eastpointe as a member/partner but have never been baptized by immersion. Baptism by immersion and a public confession of faith are all that we would require for you to become a member/partner of Eastpointe.
How can I get baptized?
All you have to do is profess your faith in Jesus and connect with us in order to get baptized. We'd be happy to meet and further discuss baptism or any other questions that you may have.
We have a special baptism pool at Eastpointe where you could get baptized any time - during a worship service, or during a private ceremony during the week. Others have been baptized at camp, or even in a friend's pool! It doesn't matter where you get baptized, all that matters is that you make the personal decision to take this next step of faith in your journey with Jesus. Please fill out the form below if you're interested in getting baptized and we will follow up with you shortly!